Artificial insemination in the swine industry has many beneficial implications for committed and dedicated farm operators.
- Reduced capital investment.
- Reduced operating cash due to lower boar inventory.
- Greater uniformity in offspring as less sires are used
- More economical to use better genetics – improved feed conversion, higher average daily gain and higher index.
- Reduced culling of sows and gilts due to breeding injuries.
- Better control over semen quality.
- Reduced transfer of infections through sow-boar contact.
- Reduced health risk as fewer animals are imported into herd.